Re: Why Russia radar sites?

Message posted by Magoo on November 21, 2000 at 22:44:08 EST:

Hi Gunslinger

If I'm reading you right, I think you're suggesting that they might have been comparing the RCS and Elint data logs from the conventional aircraft used at Green Flag, to those of the test-beds, in order to determine what the differences in electronic emmissions were? This is a good theory, and a real possibility.

The AWACS' in particular have a pretty good Elint capability as well as their powerful on-board air-intercept and air-control radars, and there may well have been an RC-135 or something similar in the area to back that Elint capability up. The smaller aircraft Joerg saw may have been something more conventional to provide some direct comparisons against, or it may indeed have been something 'black'.

And herein lies the problem...! We can sit here and say 'if', 'may', and 'perhaps' all day I suppose. Most theories expressed so far have been reasonable ones, but we probably won't ever know the definitive answer!

All we can do is to keep thinking out loud folks! :-)

Magoo

In Reply to: Re: Why Russia radar sites? posted by Gunslinger on November 21, 2000 at 21:37:57 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]