Re: Possessing a Firearm

Message posted by Pete on October 06, 2010 at 21:46:26 PST:

Thanks for the feedback..

Must of been a very intense moment coming face to face with such a wild animal.

I have to admitt when I was on tikaboo, in parts It looked typical mountain Lion country.. and when I was coming down towards the evening as light was fading, I did have visions that I may have had an encounter anytime... probably just in my mind... but the feeling was still there.. especially when you are alone and have no protection.

I am not sure IF visitors can obtain or hire a firearm easily if they are only on a short term visit of a week or so ... has any outside visitors ever hired a gun say from Las Vegas ?

Something that I would consider If I go again having read your story.

I also had the same feeling when I went towards the Dry lake... the high cliffs as you approach it certainly look typical mountain lion hiding places.

Its interesting if theres not too many snale scorpion or spider encounters... what about Black Widows in the josuha trees... I was walking around in them taking photos.

When I visited one town at night... there was a type of outside information building that you could obtain info leaflets... and the leaflets were within plastic rectangular tubes with lids on.. which at the time I was wondering why ..until I noticed a big spiders web and what looked like a black widow on it that I very nearly walked into. I assume the lid were on to prevent creepy crawleys getting between the leaflet pages.

When I was visting the USA for the 1st time a few years ago and I went down to the bottom of the Grand canyon ...

when I was coming back up towards the evening, I encountered a scorpion and tarantla within a hour.

The scorpion nearly walked onto my foot as Id sat down on a rock.. and later as I was walking back up and it had gone dark..I put my rucksack down on the floor .. I was using a torch to get a drink. when I noticed a tarantula walking on my rucksack...
I managed to knock it off with my torch... picked my sack up and didnt stop walking until I reached the top.

Id never seen anything like this before being from the UK we dont have such beasties...and was totally unaware what to expect.. so it was quite a scary experience meeting two in one night !..

I assume that maybe the Altitude / temperate climate determines certain zones where these creatures tend to
frequent... and that maybe the grand canyon due to its big variation in height tends to have certain levels where such creatures thrive more than others.

Maybe around Area 51 and tikaboo.. it isnt quite as
a desired climate for them to thrive..

But I will say to anyone who has not visited the desert areas, beware of what you do and touch, especially in the evening as its going dark.

In Reply to: Re: Possessing a Firearm posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on October 06, 2010 at 20:55:40 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]