Possible scheduled late night NTTR airspace ativation confirmation

Message posted by Paul on September 21, 2010 at 18:49:03 PST:

..... or something like that. I'm still trying to figure out if the http://sua.faa.gov/sua/special.do?selected=2&sua=conus page is of any use for late night NTTR acivity that might at times be related to Area 51. The Reveille North MOA/ATCAA was scheduled for 1AM to 6AM Monday night up to 43,000 feet. Late at night when center controllers often control more than one sector i can often hear them talking to planes that will fly north of the NTTR and being pushed to Salt Lake center. I recored a local Oakland center freq on Monday night and at 12:38am "Continental 269, per military airspace, cleared direct KROST direct wilson creek". This flight was from San Francisco to Houston and this routing took it north of the Reveille North MOA/ATCAA. Taking J58-80 that runs through the Reveille North ATCAA would have been a shorter route for it. At 12:40am "Continental 269, unable flight level 370 due to additional military airspace." Although the routing took it north of the NTTR there was still military airspace reserved at 37,000. This could be the New Look ATCAA which is gigantic and surrounds the NTTR. It never shows active on the FAA SUA site but not all activity shows on this. In northern California i can hear T-38s from Beale AFB using the Maxwell, China and Whitmore MOAs almost every weekday yet they never show active on the FAA page. To see the New Look ATCAA, go the the http://sua.faa.gov/sua/special.do?selected=2&sua=conus
and check the ATCAA box and the grey Not Scheduled box and hit update map. The new look ATCAA is the big grey rectangle in southern Nevada. At 12:40am "Continental 269, amend altitude, maintain flight level 330." Also at 12:40am the controller told continental 269 that there were a couple of different airspaces that are active. The Reveille and the New Look? Of couse the thing i want to know is if anything flew out of Groom that night or was there a visitor like a B-2. There was a chance i guess. Looking at the track log for 269, it shows it reaching KROST 38-25-15.380N 116-11-54.980W(north of Revielle North ATCAA) at about 12:58am. Is that confirmation of Reveille North going active at 1am? It's good enough for me. If anyone is reading this, the point of all of this is to know when to make my next trip down there. I can check the schedule at 7am and if anything is going to happen that night i can go to work as usual and get the next day or two off. Then right after work start the long drive down there and arive at the mailbox area pumped full of cafine around midnight and hopefully have some activity to listen to. If anyone is interested, i will continue to report what i hear on the center freq on the nights the North Reveille MOA is active.....LOL, i heard a pin drop.

Attached link: COA 269 flightaware

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]