Re: Mystery radio signal from Area 51??

Message posted by gary on November 15, 2001 at 12:35:27 PST:

I would be suspicious of any signal that can easily be heard with a common household AM radio coming from the government. They could just as easily put the signal beneath the broadcast band (in the old aircraft beacon band)or just above the broadcast band where there is little activity, fewer receivers, and no commercial broadcaster to complain about the interference. Note that the numbers stations mentioned are only heard on shortwave radios and on clear channels, though I don't see how the CIA, Mosad, and other spooks can coordinate their signals since they all deny they make these broadcasts.

What is really unusual about putting a strange signal in the broadcast band is that RDF (radio direction finder) equipment is dirt cheap in that band. In the pre-gps days, boaters would attempt to navigate with cheesy RDFs. Since the GPS came into beings, all the old RDF have been dumped on the flea markets or ebay. Flea market prices range $20 to $40, a bit more on-line.

I have a Bendix 555 RDF and wish I knew about this signal when it was active. Thera are always 3 or 4 radio direction finders on ebay at any time, though the Bendix models are hard to find. [They have a sharper null which helps in DFing.]

In Reply to: Mystery radio signal from Area 51?? posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on November 15, 2001 at 11:39:58 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]