Re: Surprise Visit to Milwaukee(Peter?)

Message posted by Peter Merlin on July 04, 2010 at 21:48:59 PST:

The crew was Ed Schneider and Bob Meyer. They flew to Oshkosh on 2 August 1997 at a maximum speed of Mach 3.05 and a maximum altitude of 74,600 feet. After they did the air show fly-by the Blackbird had a major fuel leak and diverted to Milwaukee.

On 11 August, Ed and Bob ferried the aircraft back to NASA Dryden at a maximum speed of Mach 2.55 and maximum altitude of 63,000 feet. They had a problem with the left engine that resulted in damage to exhaust ejector as they flew over Omaha, Nebraska.

I was on the ramp at Dryden when the plane pulled in (and I mean I was right there, standing behind the NASA photographer). After the canopies were opened, one of the ground crewmen extracted a package from a fuselage bay and handed it to the pilots. They removed the contents - Wisconsin "Cheesehead" hats - and put them on. I joined them as they performed a walkaround to inspect the aircraft and check out the damage. I could feel the heat coming off the engine nacelles.

In Reply to: Re: Surprise Visit to Milwaukee(Peter?) posted by Scot Tway on July 04, 2010 at 21:21:05 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]