Blimp vs. UAV question

Message posted by Willie on April 29, 2010 at 16:27:15 PST:

As one of my first posts I would like to come out and say how much I enjoy following this forum, you all seem to be quite informed on aircraft, both secret and not. I do apologize if this question seems basic, but it is something I have been wondering for quite some time, and with these latest posts about stealth blimps, I thought now would be a good time to ask.
What actual advantages does a stealth blimp have that UAVs in development don't. It seams to me that a huge, highly advanced lighter than air blimp is a bit obsolete, like developing a new ultra high tech shore gun to defend the coasts of America. However, from what I have read, UAVs are being developed to do some amazing things. Stay in the air for days on end, the ability to swap in fresh crews when ever needed, little to no risk to human life, etc. Heck I hear that the Air Force Research Lab is even going to have UAVs that can refuel each other in the next few years.(Pop Science Vol. 187 No.3)
In short I would really like to know what your opinions are on this. Thank you in advance!

"Down Wind Willie"

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]