Area 51 The First Time!

Message posted by RickB on April 25, 2010 at 13:06:03 PST:

"Secret Air Base"! This was the feature article in the March 1994 issue of Popular Science and was my first introduction to Groom Lake and Area 51. Kind of like your first girlfriend and the first time, which of course you never forget! Still have the magazine and it still holds up well and is one of my favorite reads on Area 51 today. It's amazing that not much else has really surfaced since then, other than the declassified stories and information on the black projects from back in the day, and also the Soviet aircraft that were flown there. This issue pops up on eBay from time to time and is a must have for any Dreamland enthusiast, unlike the June 1997 Popular Mechanics "The New Area 51" which was a complete joke and fabrication by a PM writer who was later fired. An obvious and ill-fated attempt to deflect public interest from the base. I see that there are also a couple 1994 PS "Skunk Works" issues for sale on eBay right now. Although brief and not in depth, this is one of the first looks at the inside of the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works operation that was made available to the public and was an interesting overview at the time. Cheers to all!

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]