Re: Mystery Quest on History International

Message posted by Peter Merlin on April 07, 2010 at 9:54:32 PST:

The show’s producers lured me in with the promise that their "expedition based investigative series" would focus on the truth about Area 51 instead of the mythology. As usual, it was a lie. Bear in mind that the name of the series is MysteryQuest, not MysterySolved.

The result was almost as cheesy as I expected but it was better than "UFO Hunters." Too much air-time was wasted on shots of desert scenery and rusting automobiles.

Before filming the segment, the producers promised that they wanted to tell the real story of Area 51. Unfortunately MysteryQuest just rehashed the same old stuff: Black Mailbox, cammo dudes, Lazar, Aurora, and the obligatory Tikaboo Peak hike. It was a missed opportunity.

The episode was originally to focus solely on Area 51 but halfway through the final edit, the producers decided to expand the scope to include a whole bunch of unrelated stuff (Roswell, Nazca lines, the jet pilot's sighting, etc.). It went from a coherent narrative to a confusing jumble. The result was terrible and an insult to the audience.

I had been promised that this show would tell the real story of Area 51 and that my expertise was needed. Unfortunately, the script outline was already fixed and the field producer stymied me at nearly every turn. If I tried to give some facts about Area 51 that had been uncovered through hard research efforts after the mid 1990s, I was told I couldn't say that because it would spoil the mystery. I was repeatedly told to remember that, "Area 51 is a mystery." Well, I thought the point was to solve the mystery. Apparently that was not the case. They just wanted to tease the audience.

If you choose to watch this piece of crap, expect melodrama and don't believe everything you see.

In Reply to: Mystery Quest on History International posted by tzarmason on April 06, 2010 at 22:19:04 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]