Re: wierd sonic boom....?

Message posted by greatguess on February 21, 2010 at 7:14:03 PST:

it's rather embarrassing, but i think i now know what caused this "sonic boom" to sound/feel different than 99% of those i have experienced over my 35 years here in the antelope valley. let me state first that i am an aerospace engineer and should have thought of this before i even posted. i live in the desert; what makes it the desert is the lack of water on the ground and in the air. we had a fairly strong rain cell go over our area about 4 hours before the "sonic boom" which raised the humididy of the air significantly over what it is normally when folks are boring supersonic holes through the air on a typical day here. by dawn the rain had passed and there were pretty puffy white clouds (rare here) in the sky; the humidity was way above normal. it was a beautiful day for flying and someone (i believe an F22) decided to go supersonic over Edwards; because of the humidity level the "boom" spread over a wider area with different properties than it would have at our normal 10-15% humidity. I talked to several other folks in the area saturday that all said the "sonic boom" did not sound "normal" and my guess that was the cause. as Roseanne Roseannadanna would have said "Never Mind".....

In Reply to: wierd sonic boom....? posted by greatguess on February 20, 2010 at 9:56:59 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]