Re: Red Flag 10-3 Players Listing

Message posted by John on February 12, 2010 at 11:31:14 PST:

Any further info on the Australian F/A-18 unit?

The reason I ask is that the last appearance by the RAAF at RF was by F-111s.They only attended because while F/A-18s were due to go, they couldn't due to the non availability of tanker support from Australia due to the withdrawal of our 707 tankers and late arrival of our KC-30s.To replace them, the Pigs were dispatched because they had the range to island hop from Australia to the US west coast.

Fast forward to now, nothing has changed and the Pigs are in their final months of service (in fact, as i type, they are grounded due to a major engine fire incident) and the KC-30s are still a few months from service entry.Unless the USAF is providing tanker support from Australia and back home, the only possibility left is the former F-111 unit, 1 Sqn, which is now at NAS Lemoore undergoing conversion to the F/A-18F.I understand we have 9 crews fully trained at this point and around 6 aircraft on the flight line at Lemoore wearing the kangaroo roundel, so perhaps this is the unit? The first aircraft are due to depart Lemoore for Amberly sometime in March.

In Reply to: Re: Red Flag 10-3 Players Listing posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on February 09, 2010 at 18:33:39 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]