Re: Non-Janet Area51 flight?

Message posted by greatguess on January 26, 2010 at 15:53:12 PST:

they do. not all the "cool stuff" is built at plant 42 but a lot of it has been. in the 70's and 80's there was a concrete pad off the west end of the runway near sierra highway where folks would park and just wait for the "cool stuff" to take off. they would put up an american flag on a flagpole and fly it during their watch. the problem is that most departures from plant 42 of the "cool stuff" occur in the middle of the night when there is no moonlight so all that you get is the sounds - i guess now with night vision goggles available you might get more but it gets realllllly boring sitting around for weeks and months at a time for something that might not happen for a year or two. sounds on the other hand are what we key off of near plant 42; each aircraft has a distinctive sound that we locals have learned to identify; for example. just today as i was leaving the house to head to work i heard a familiar sound in the distance and called it immediatly as a B2 which screamed over my house at about 1000' AGL about 30 seconds later pointed towards Edwards AFB. if we can't identify a sound we suspect it may be a new "toy" for somebody to test and protect us from the bad guys and that makes us proud. it is amazing how well secrets are kept around here but that because most folks that live and work here are truely patriotic and don't want our defenses compromised. we are curious however when we hear (or rarely see) something new. does that help?

In Reply to: Re: Non-Janet Area51 flight? posted by Perplexium on January 26, 2010 at 14:37:10 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]