Re: taking pics at area 51

Message posted by gary on November 02, 2001 at 21:07:46 PST:

Regarding the temperature drift, if I didn't see it myself I would have never believe focus could drift like that. You may want to get some of that silver bubble wrap insulation. It is pretty cheap at Orchard Supply Hardware; something like $1/foot.

I think Joerg's camera does have a mirror lock-up when the timer is used. Anyway, I would suggest using a camera with mirror lock-up unless the exposure time is faster than the inverse of the focal length. For example, you can use a 400mm lens at 1/400th of a second (probably not found on any camera, but of course 1/500th would be the logical choice.] At 1000mm, it is very unlikely this time criteria will be met.

If you plan on camping out on Tikaboo by yourself, leave notice with someone. The hike is somewhat dangerous. [Not the kind of danger where if you slip you are dead, but dangerous in that you could injure yourself and there is no help and there will be no help.] Joerg made me bring a gallon of water, which I managed to use up in the summer time. I would say even now you may need 1/2 a gallon. If for some reason you get into trouble, the only water around is what you carry. There are a few water bottles left on the hill by unknown people (space aliens, passing Afghani tribesman, etc.) that you could drink if you really needed to, but bringing your own is best.

In Reply to: Re: taking pics at area 51 posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on November 01, 2001 at 18:10:16 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]