Re: why? -- new guard shack / range security

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on November 20, 2000 at 03:06:05 EST:

You brought up some very good points there, and I hope we get some more input from others. Here are my two cents:

Contrary to the Groom Lake Rd. gate, the North Gate has always been secured by a fence. The new chain link fence replaces the old fence in the immediate vicinity of the gate. The reason for higher security concerns could be the Russian radar sites about 1.5 miles inside the perimeter, or rather the activity that they are currently involved in. I doubt that someone got in, but I have good reason to believe that you are right that "something new is happening".

One of the main reasons for the absence of a fence at the "main" gate is that Steve Medlin owns the grazing rights for the entire valley, including part of the resteicted area. His cows would not be able to access part of his land if a fence was there.
As of two weeks ago, when I last checked, there was no construction activity at the Groom Lake Rd. gate, or any change to what my photos show. They probably rely on distance as security here, as you say. If you make a run for the gate, past the always-present security vehicle, you are still looking at over a mile of dirt road until you get to the Guard Shack. And then another 12 miles before you get to the Lake, or to anything interesting.

The Cedar Gate is mostly used by traffic to TTR, and does not seem to be controlled by the same security division as Groom. Most security vehicles here have regular gov't license plates, and the guards even talk to you. I have not seen any recent change at the gate here either. However, there are several new radar sites nearby, that seem to be involved in the same activity as the ones by the North Gate.

BTW: The shots of the new Guard Shack have all been taken from public land, even the one from the south. I do not recommend anyone to go there, though...

In Reply to: why? posted by passenger 51 on November 20, 2000 at 02:18:28 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]