Re: UAL874

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on January 03, 2010 at 12:42:40 PST:

I hear they landed safely at KLAS.

I am using the SBS-1e, mostly with the included software, as well as some home-grown additions. I hear the AirNav box has a fancier map display, but I like the open architecture of the SBS-1. The map screen is very basic though, and requires some work on your end to add points of interest etc. I have not had an opportunity to try the AirNav box, but I hear the SBS-1e "sees" more traffic. In Rachel I use the stock mag-mount, and in Vegas I use a directional antenna pointed towards the ranges. That filters out some of the commercial stuff in the busy air space around Vegas, that I am really not too interested in.

Not all flights send Mode-S signals. Most civilian traffic does, but only about 10% transmit position data. Most military heavies send Mode-S codes, but hardly any with position data. So, you know what is flying, and in most cases at what altitude, but you don't know where they are. Most US fighter jets do not send a Mode-S signal. Some European visitors do, but not consistently and without position data. My point is that these systems cost a lot of money, and it is important to understand the limitations before you buy.

In Reply to: Re: UAL874 posted by Peter on January 03, 2010 at 12:01:05 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]