Encounters of the odd kind

Message posted by 9th life on December 12, 2009 at 11:42:37 PST:

Geocaching fun. I get notified when a cacher finds my cache "road to bombing range 61". What follows is the log entry; You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing. Location: Nevada, United States JohnMac56 found Road to Bombing Range 61 (Traditional Cache) at 12/9/2009 Log Date: 12/9/2009 Found this one on my birthday on my way out to the ET highway to hunt down aliens and caches (found some caches, but no aliens) on my annual birthday trip. I can't believe that no one has found this cache since Halloween. The road to the cache was wide open despite the fact that there were a few inches of fresh snow on everything.
There was a strange looking set up of apparatus about 100 yards away from the cache. I couldn't be sure if it was surveying equipment (no surveyors anywhere in sight) or survelience equipment. All I could tell was that it was hooked up to what appeared to be either a car battery or a deep cycle battery and that I wasn't going to mess with it.
I then travelled a couple of more miles down this road to see where it led to when I came across a black military style humvee vehicle parked across the road blocking any further access. Two men in black tactical gear and holding either AR-15 or M-16 rifles stepped out of the vehicle. They approached me and asked what I was doing out here. I responded honestly that I was geocaching and they told me that there were no other geocaches further down this road (strange, I didn't even have to explain what geocaching was to them). Then one of them asked me for my ID, I refused stating that I had broken no laws and was on a public road on public land and they had no authority to ask for my ID. He responded back saying, "Fine, then you had best go back the way you came as this road is closed". The other stepped back and wrote down the license plate of my vehicle (thankfully it was a rental) as I turned around and beat it back to the highway...

Thanks for the cache and the scare these guys threw into me. I would have loved to continue down the road a piece and find out why they had it blocked off but I prefer my freedom over my curiosity...
That was cool, any input from locals? 9thLife

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]