Re: And the winner is...

Message posted by Magoo on October 28, 2001 at 2:26:09 PST:

F-35 is just the 'operational' designation I gave for the X-35 which was LMs prototype. Boeing's prototype was called X-32. I think the in-service designation may end up being F-24 (or F/A-24 etc), although I seem to remember someone saomewhere saying that F-28 was going to be the designation, but don't quote me on that (makes you wonder what the F-25, 26 and 27 are/were?).

I always preferred the looks of the X-35, but that certainly is no criteria by which to select the winner of a $200+ billion program!

I have no first-hand knowledge of the results of any comparisons of the flight test programs, except that both aircraft performed extremely well with no major mishaps! I have heard though, that BAE Systems being a partner with LM in the X-35 probably played a big part, as the UK will probably order 150-200 of the aircraft.

F-117N/X was only a proposal as far as I know. It was proposed by Lockheed in the late 1980's for the USN AFX program, which was won by the doomed GD A-12. The idea was resurrected following Desert Storm, but to what extent I do not know.

I doubt a navalised F-117 would have the power to be able to be launched from a carrier without afterburning engines and a revised exhaust profile. It would also need a new wing for better low-speed handling, and greater range.

Check out the excellent F-117 'Black Jet' site that is linked from this site - it has some F-117N/X stuff in it (see link).

Magoo

Attached link: *LINK*

In Reply to: Re: And the winner is... posted by Jose on October 27, 2001 at 1:27:51 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]