Re: Mystery UAV at Kandahar

Message posted by Peter Merlin on December 01, 2009 at 9:26:27 PST:

Ever since the original blurry pictures came out, I have been saying this airplane bears a family resemblance to Lockheed Martin's P-175 Polecat. I suggested that it might be the Lockheed Martin Desert Prowler, a UAV that first flew in December 2005.

The Polecat made two flights in mid 2005 from Yucca Dry Lake in Area 6 of the Nevada Test Site. There were plans to "move testing to another part of the range," but the airplane crashed on 18 December 2006.

The Desert Prowler may also have flown at Area 6 but there is circumstantial evidence connecting it to Groom Lake. It may have flown at Groom or at least had support from the test organization at Det. 3, AFFTC.

In any case, I recently heard that the mystery UAV spotted in Afghanistan had been declassified more than a month ago. There was apparently no formal announcement to unveil the craft, however. It may be that the responsible agencies merely crafter a response-to-queries document in case anybody asked about it.

In Reply to: Re: Mystery UAV at Kandahar posted by Matthew Ruch on December 01, 2009 at 8:49:17 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]