Re: UFO over Dreamland

Message posted by psiuh88 on September 29, 2009 at 19:12:06 PST:

get some welders greens (nomex/fire retardant clothes) too. and I'd use welders goggles and the flare is quite intense if viewed for more than a second or two.
its very pyrophoric as fine powder.

here's what Ti looks like when it being ground away (down below) . I'd suppose if it was on some sort of re-entry vehicle it might look the same. Maybe made of TIMET-21S? nobody probably wants to bother with Ti-13-11-3 anymore. except in the mid 80's when someone ordered huge amounts (hundreds of thousands of pounds of sheet) of that 13-11-3 stuff. the last time it was made was in the 60's (for the A-12/Sr-71) - they even had to relearn how to make that alloy in the 80's, since it hadn't been made for years, and people in the Ti industry used to be like druids - they never wrote anything down, lest the common folk find out the metallurgists were making things up as they went along and job security in not writing stuff down on how to make things-don't let them think you could actually devine the future from chicken intestines - nonsense like that (that way after you retire and they can't figure something out, they had to rehire you at big consultant salaries - or that was the plan). It was a big ordeal to make the stuff again. The SR-71 was retired 2 or 3 years after the last batch of 13-11-3 was made. It took a couple years to complete the order. some people were told they (USAF) were re-skinning the SR-71 fleet with the new batch of alloy sheets. I suppose its not unheard of for the government to waste money, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlnsrSOgLEE&feature=related

this is probably just a block of CP (commercially pure industrial use stuff) titanium, or some reject Ti-6Al-4V. get it "cheap" from some scrap buyer. sells for about $1-3 a pound right now as scrap.

In Reply to: Re: UFO over Dreamland posted by habu-e6 on September 29, 2009 at 17:41:52 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]