Re: Ft. Simms

Message posted by neonsky on September 21, 2009 at 9:00:07 PST:

Wild-Bill,

I don't have the gps coordinates of Fort Simms, but I have some photos on the link below with maybe one of the last photos of Dave Simms, aka, Control tower Dave, as I liked to call him.
Joerg or Hank might know more about him than I do, but he was a long time resident of Rachel who recently died of Liver Cancer. He lived in a trailer near the Ale'inn than had a camo covered lookout tower adjacent to his trailer. He was somewhat of a loner, but was a wealth of info on the history of Rachel in general.
He would spend hours alone on the mountain top nearby that overlooks Rachel. He always flew the American flag on a mast nearby his perch. It is required that when anyone goes to Ft. Simms (not a real fort but an honorarium for him, that they bring an American Flag and fly it on the pole (if it is still standing)while they visit.
The view there is stunning as my photos will show, but requires a 4x4 to visit.
I am pretty sure I can find the spot with Google Earth and get the coordinates for you, or maybe Gregos has them already.

...Alan

Attached link: http://community.webshots.com/user/NeonskyLV

In Reply to: Ft. Simms posted by wildbill on September 20, 2009 at 19:45:31 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]