Trip Report - Cannon AFB / Clovis AFB April 2001

Message posted by Sedalia Mike on October 08, 2001 at 10:41:53 PST:

Trip report to Cannon AFB from April Oddysey to Nevada / California. At Amarillo, TX Joe / Catman and I hung a left and followed the mighty Santa Fe railroad town to the border town of Clovis, NM. This was the first day out from Illinois and was something like a 1,000 mile day. Anyway, bright and early we went out to Cannon and did the perimeter thing. Lots and lots of fighters on the flightlines but nothing moving (was also something like 8:00 Sunday morning - I'd come all the way from Illinois so I thought there should be screaming 16s all over the place: didn't they know?!?) Not very good access from perimeter roads sightwise. Apparently Cannon is more or less going to be mothballed while the runways are totally redone (supposed to be happening now). Some of you may remember Steve Douglass's reports of some newfangled swing-wing bomber being based at Cannon. I don't know anything about that but Cannon would be a good place to do that. Out of the way and off the main highway in a small town.

Sedalia Mike

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]