Rachel Panorama

Message posted by Gregos on September 15, 2009 at 10:11:04 PST:

I wanted to post this photo to see how a panorama shows up in the forum. Also to show everyone who has never made it out to Rachel, the town's beautiful desolation. This photo (in this case 3) was taken at the old mine across HWY 375 from Rachel looking Southwest to Northwest.
37° 38.673'N, 115° 44.064'W

Behind the conveyor belt, you can see Bald Mountain. Right behind Bald Mountain is our favorite base. Between the conveyor belt and "shed," is Chalk Mountain. Both mountains are in the restricted area, so don't even think about climbing them! Behind the mine you maybe able to make out the small buildings of Rachel. All the way to the right you can see HWY 375 going up the hill to Queen City Summit. Just over the summit is the turn off out to Cedar Pipeline Ranch and then to Cedar Gate. To give you an idea of distance, Bald Mountain is 13.5 miles away, Chalk Mountain is just shy of that and Queen City Summit is about the same.

Just look at that big open sky. Now just imagine it at night with no light pollution! Now you can see why Rachel has some of the best star gazing in the United States.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]