Re: Mormon Radio Facility

Message posted by Gregos on September 01, 2009 at 17:56:06 PST:

No, Joerg, just posted my trip report on another Air Combat Maneuvering Instrumentation site I stumbled upon last April. It's in the Mormon Mountain foothills north of Moapa, NV.
N36 57.981 / W114 33.398

During Red Flag, weapons school and possibly other tests (maybe out of Groom Lake) the jets are fitted with an Airborne Instrumentation Sub-system (AIS) Pod that transmits the aircraft's location, speed, etc in real time 3-D.

There are several of these radio sites all around the Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR). There is one on Badger Mountain near Tikaboo Peak. You can see it with the naked eye on the way down (at first I thought it was a camera monitoring the trail, but that's not the case). There is one on Mt. Irish. This one here at Mormon, maybe one on Mt Ella or Highland Peak? Probably another one to the north around Cedar Gate / Base Camp or Tonopah??? Joerg could answer that better...

But search [Red Flag ACMI Information] on DLR's search button to the left for more info.

BTW, Thanks for reading my trip report! :-)

In Reply to: Re: Mormon Radio Facility posted by Turbo 182 on September 01, 2009 at 16:53:41 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]