Re: New images and amount of vehicles

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on July 09, 2009 at 9:45:34 PST:

On any give weekday there are between 1200 and 1300 vehicles parked at the McCarran Janet terminal. Most of the vehicles are occupied by only the driver. This has not changed much since I started observing the terminal about 10 years ago.

Some of the flights go to TTR, some to Groom. It used to be that more flights go to TTR, but recently it seems more flights are going to Groom. I estimate about 700+ workers going to Groom every day. Plus those who drive in via the Mercury Highway, and a few on the bus and private vehicles from Alamo.
BTW: Most of the vehicles you see in the satellite images remain on base. They are parked in the vicinity of the Groom Janet terminal on weekends.

Workers have the option of staying at the base during the week, and I believe there are financial incentives for that. Sometimes projects require workers to stay there for several days, I hear lately often on weekends.

I agree, that's a lot of people to be playing golf at a closed base. At least now they have a go-cart track if they get bored with golf... :-)

In Reply to: New images and amount of vehicles posted by Robert on July 08, 2009 at 23:08:47 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]