OT - "The Old Man's Plane..."

Message posted by Gregos on May 03, 2009 at 2:01:02 PST:

#61-093 named "Good Vibrations" -Because she shook so much!

Since the forum is kind of quite, I thought I'd share an interesting little story about my friend and his old man's plane. For years now I've know my buddy and the fact that his pop was a F-105 pilot during the Vietnam War. A few years back, after seeing Joerg's link to the AF serial number database, I asked him if he had his dad's old log books. He said he didn't and I explained it would be kind of cool to look up his pop's aircraft number(s). The log books would have been awesome, but he did have of course photos with the tail numbers on them, so I turned him onto DLR and the link...

He emailed me the other day that he found one of them that matched up. Most of the Thuds of course went to AMARC to be scrapped but this is what makes the story cool. Turns out old #61-093 escaped her sad fate. After her service was over in 1981 she was moved to be on display just outside Lubbock, TX -which is my buddy's home town and where the old man was sent to train pilots at Reese AFB long before 1981! My friend still has some amigos there in Lubbock that are going to take some current photos for him! Crazy huh?

I thought it was a good story and it's nice to know that thru Joerg's site my friend can see some of his dad's proud history. To me that's way cool...

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]