An amusing encounter I had yesterday.

Message posted by Chris McDowell on April 05, 2009 at 2:26:15 PST:

I wait tables, and I have one of the 6-star (5+1) decals, available here on the site, affixed to my book in which I write down customer orders. Yesterday, I was waiting on a table of three Air Force officers, two of which (bird colonels, both), were wearing Senior/Command pilot wings. It didn't take long before I noticed that both of these guys were looking at the decal on my book. I didn't say anything (I figured, even if they recognized it, they wouldn't talk about it). Towards the end of their meal, however, one of them said,
"I like that sticker on your book there."
I replied, "I like it, too, but most people don't get the meaning."
He asked, "Do you know the meaning of that design?"
And I said, "Yes, sir, I know exactly what it refers to. Sounds like you do, too."
Both of them were smiling at this point, but neither said anything further (not that I expected them to, either). But here's the great part of this story -- when I collected their credit card slip. Their lunch bill was $39, and the cardholder wrote in a $12 tip, with a little smiley face drawn next to it. And of course, 39 plus 12 equals...

I s**t you not, that's exactly what happened. And I figured y'all might enjoy hearing about it!

Chris M.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]