Re: Tikaboo Trip

Message posted by Gregos on March 13, 2009 at 19:16:00 PST:

Marcus,

I just got back from Rachel, watching the Last few days of Red Flag. Tikaboo has snow on it right now which is typical for this time of year. In late April there may be some left but in little patches. The temperature should be gorgeous then but it will still drop down into the low digits at night up there. If you are planning a climb, I suggest staying at the cabins at Windmill Ridge in Alamo. Super clean, good restaurant and nice people running it -well worth the $89 bucks. It's only about 10 miles North of the dirt access road to Tikaboo Peak so you can get an early start on that climb -which you want. You don't want to run out of daylight out there on your first trip. As soon as the sun dips behind the mountains it's like dark fast. Dark dark! If you are asking where to stay in Las Vegas, well that's your problem! If you renting a 4x4, I suggest the Hummer H3. I own one and highly recommend it for off road trips. Plus since it's a rental you can drive all the way up to the upper staging area of the hike. There is a big rock in the way but mine easily went over it! The trees might scratch it up a bit, but it's a rental! Down side is it gets 15 mpg but you will not get stuck! I know AVIS and a couple others have them. Hope this helps...

In Reply to: Re: Tikaboo Trip posted by Hank on March 12, 2009 at 18:15:02 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]