Re: MORE SECRETIVE THAN GROOM LAKE? ???

Message posted by gary on August 21, 2001 at 13:19:06 PST:

I'm sure Sedalia Mike and Catman will remember our trip to Silverbow. I recall a comment like "They have a road sign for this place?"

I'm guessing the hill you are speaking of is at
N37 53.420 W116 30.271, which is at an altitude of 7218, about 600ft higher than the road. Brainwash is at 6926 with the road at about the same height, so I'd say if you were inclined to do the spot near the border and Brainwash, doing this other hill instead of Brainwash might make sense. You can probably approach the hill from near stinking spring, which will save some wear on your vehicle since the road gets progressively worse as you travel past stinking springs.

If you just wanted to look into this area near the pass, a higher peak that I believe is in free territory is called Nixon Peak, at
N37 52.713 W116 28.304 and 7630 elevation. It looks like your view to the rest of the base would be blocked by the other hill. Nixon Peak is about 0.4 miles from the nearest road, and looks like a straight shot.

Looking at general distances, lets call the spot near the gate point D, Brainwash Point B, and Nixon Point C (for crook), and Joerg's spot Point J:

Distance to TTR runway:
Point D 7.4 miles
Point B 14.2 miles
Point C 17.9 miles
Point J: 16.6 miles

If you are calling S4 to be around
N37 42.789 W116 35.570 (a major intersection of roads), then the distance is:

Point D 15.5
Point B 13.1
Point J 13.2
Point C 13.2

On second thought, it looks like you really don't gain much driving that far to see the S4 area. But if you went to Point J, you can see areas that are hidden by hills from the other points.

Looking at the map again, it may pay to see how far you can drive on the road to Silverbow past the ghost town. We took it into the canyon area and quit. However, if it is free territory past the canyon, you could look into S4 without doing any hiking.

In Reply to: Re: MORE SECRETIVE THAN GROOM LAKE? ??? posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on August 20, 2001 at 20:43:35 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]