OT - Just who is James S. Toreson?

Message posted by Tom on September 07, 2008 at 15:47:55 PST:

Sorry for the length of this post, but the info is …interesting. I’ve been following the proposed Rachel prison thing for a while, and got curious as to who James S. Toreson is and why he thinks a prison in Rachel makes sense. So after about an hour of Goggling and following leads on the web, I must say I’m intrigued. I have more questions than before I started. His background is electrical engineering, all the way up to at least one PhD. He’s been involved in a number of high tech and investment companies. He doesn’t appear to be any sort of land developer (which certainly goes to his judgment on the Rachel property). He also seems to have had addresses all over the landscape.

Now I am loathe to suggest conspiracy theories or ulterior motives for many things. I’ve found that in most cases, things are simply as they appear. But here’s a REALLY smart guy, with serious technical training, investment and contractual background wanting to something fairly obviously boneheaded. Why is that?

Is this a case of there being more than meets the eye? Is there something going on, other than what it appears? I’ll leave that to other online sleuths to hunt down, but the following easily obtained bits should get you going……

------------------------------------------------
From Portfolio.com for Dr. Jim Toreson:

Dr. Toreson has over 16 years experience as a chief executive, and over 20 years experience in manufacturing, including quality control, materials management, JIT production, process control, and manufacturing engineering. Eight years of experience in flexible automation, statistical process control (SPC), and quality system including ISO 9000 and Six Sigma programs. More recently as the founder of ONSHORE, a management consulting firm specializing in technology-intensive products and services he has acted as the CEO of Chineseinvestors.com, an Internet portal serving the world-wide ethnic Chinese marketplace for financial services; VP of Marketing and Sales of APPIANT Technology, Inc., a NASDAQ company providing ASP services for speech recognition; and VP of Business Development for eSpaces, a company providing physically secure and cyber-secure work spaces. Dr. Toreson has a BSEE and MSEE from the University of Michigan, a Dr. of Science from the University of Nevada, and has completed coursework for his PhD EE at the University of Pennsylvania.
------------------------------------------------------
A Pipl.com search for James S. Toreson turns up a Studio City, CA address and phone number, as well as the Alamo listings.
------------------------------------------------------
A USSearch.com search for James S. Toreson, age 66 gives a large number of locations for this one individual. Nevada locations include Alamo, Carson City, Gardnerville, Minden, Reno and Zephyr Cove. California locations include Duarte, Lincoln, Los Altos Hills, Los Angeles, Mountain View, San Jose, Santa Clara, Studio City and Sunnyvale. And Richmond, VA, just for fun. This boy gets around!
--------------------------------------------------------
Toreson is listed as the Executive Officer of Tempest Asset Management (tempestasset.com) in Newport Beach, California.
----------------------------------------
From albuquerque.bizjournals.com he’s listed as the CEO of Cell Robotics, Inc, which has the following description (there’s more in SEC filings):

“Cell Robotics is a leading manufacturer of innovative biophotonic technologies for clinical and research medicine. Our Company is dedicated to producing practical and innovative products with designs driven by our customer's needs. Cell Robotics' ISO 13485 certified facility produces two technologically advanced product lines. The award-winning Lasette product line comprises miniature laser instruments for capillary blood collection, without physical invasion of the skin. Cell Robotics' Laser Microscopy Workstations use photonic forces for manipulation and microdissection of live or fixed specimens in nanospace.”
--------------------------------------------------------
James S. Toreson Joins Netrom Inc. As CEO and Chairman
Business Wire, Jan 22, 2001

Netrom Inc., (Pink Sheets:NRRM) today announced the appointment of James S. Toreson as the Company's new Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.

A seasoned senior executive, Toreson brings extensive experience in restructuring and rebuilding small and medium size companies. He has a distinguished track record of accomplishment working in turnaround situations. As Chairman and CEO, Toreson will lead Netrom through the final phase of its turnaround. He will play a key role in the development and expansion of its recent acquisition, Networth Inc., d.b.a. BigRebate.

"I am extremely excited to be joining Netrom at this particular time. The Company has made tremendous progress over the past nine months and is poised to complete its reorganization/turnaround," said Toreson. "We are now in a position to start moving forward, building a profitable, high growth company and delivering significant value to Netrom's shareholders. The Company's management will need the continued support and cooperation of its creditors and shareholders as it executes its plan to build a new Netrom."

"Jim brings a lot of credibility to the executive management team of Netrom and he will have a major impact on executing and achieving our short and long term goals," said Ron Clark, president of Netrom. "His professional credentials, track record, leadership ability and business acumen will greatly strengthen investor confidence in Netrom and help put us on a fast track to making 2001 a successful year for the Company and its shareholders."

Toreson has been CEO and president of Onshore Inc., a management consulting business he founded in 1990. Toreson recently served as President of Forte Systems Inc., Troy, Mich., a software consulting services and systems integration provider. Prior to Onshore Inc. he founded Xebec Inc., a designer and manufacturer of hard disk controllers. He served as its chairman, CEO and president over a 13-year period. Beginning with $5,000 in capital, he built the company to $150 million in revenue.

Attached link: More Toreson bio from zoominfo.com

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]