Re: Spot

Message posted by Gregos on July 07, 2008 at 10:25:14 PST:

This is SPOT in Track mode on the way down from Mt Irish. It should spit out your GPS location every 10 minutes. As you can see we were out of touch maybe 50% of the time...

I purchased spot a few months ago because I tend to go up to Area 51 and its surroundings alone. I thought it would be a good idea to be able to transmit an "I'm OK" message to my wife from time to time. I did a few mile walks around my neighborhood to test it out and it didn't work. In their disclaimer it clearly states "NO REFUNDS!" Great I just bought a $300 paper weight! I called customer service to exchange my defective unit and that was the first time it actually worked. Mind you I didn't do anything different -There are only (4) buttons!

On and Off -uh on and off...

OK / TRACK which lets you send the OK message and then can track you every 10 minutes (or as they advertised but it is hit or miss).

HELP which sends an email to friends and family that you need help but it does not go out to authorities.

911 which sends the word to Search and Rescue and your email list that you are up that creek we all know!

Joerg and I took it along our Mt Irish Hike last month and it worked maybe 75% as advertised. It did track us half of the way down. I guess this is first generation so it's clunky but I'll give it a break. Better than nothing. I think if you had a broken leg out in the boonies it would EVENTUALLY connect to SAR.

In Reply to: Spot posted by keithw on July 07, 2008 at 1:26:48 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]