O.T. Fuel Cost Concerns

Message posted by Roadeye on June 20, 2008 at 8:39:50 PST:

This may appear off topic at first glance, but, after considerable thought I decided to post this anyway.
I'm interested in reading your opinions and thoughts about this.

It was just recently stated that $200 plus per barrel is widely recognized as a realistic figure for the price of oil to reach within the next 12- 18 months.
Now, I'm wondering what effect that will have or must be having on any new designs or development ideas that are being worked on both in the above board aircraft industry and of course the area of black projects or top secret work where money often seems to be no object.
It would appear to me, now, much more than ever before, that the high cost of fuel has to be driving aerodynamic engineers and aircraft designers, not to mention the military back to the drawing board in droves.
The days of full afterburner sprints and seemingly unlimited in-air refueling have to be soon drawing rapidly to a close.
And that has to be having a very significant impact on any new designs and test schedules etc that we will be hearing about or witnessing over the next few years.
What do you people think?
I wonder if there will soon be a new rush of traffic over the Nevada Desert?
New aircraft, burning new, exotic fuels, or finding ways to use the old ones much more efficiently.
Could we be looking at a new "Green" age of flight?
As opposed to the old "Golden Age" we all enjoyed in the fifties and sixties?
Opinions Please!
And new info if it's out there.

Cheers

Roadeye

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]