Re: OT: Planning a Roswell trip...any suggestions from those who have been?

Message posted by Joe on March 06, 2008 at 8:01:33 PST:

The tours to the "crash site" north of town are seen by some as misleading -- to a site no longer seen as credible, the one just west of the UFO CRASH SITE sign. From what I've read recently, and talking with Don Schmidt, Stan Friedman and others, the impact site north of town, was actually further north.

The Mac Brazel debris field site is generally discouraged, apparently part on public (BLM) land and part on private ranch land with no easy, clear way to be certain which is which. There's also no realistic chance of finding any debris from 1947 there and locals seem to be, or are at least said to be, concerned about tourists leaving ranch land gates open, or closing open ones, or setting fire to the brush, or littering, or getting lost, breaking down, needing help, etc.

That said, the GPS location of the Sci Fi Channel monument/tombstone near there is on the internet in a few places. I've been there three times, for a couple of hours. It's a beautiful spot on a ridgeline overlooking what was once the apparent debris field.

Look for a closed runway crossing east to west acrooss a north to south dirt road, near a pumping station for one of the underground gas lines. Heading north from there look east for a set of tire tracks heading into the desert -- just dirt tracks with grass in the middle. If you get to the next major dirt road going east/west and a stop sign there, you've gone about 1/2 mile or so too far.

Once you find the dirt tracks, they will head north/east, then turn east along the ridge line. You'll be going only 5mph or so on that "road." I think a rental car could make it, but a higher clearance vehicle is recommended. It's also possible to park on the side of the major dirt road and walk. There are no fences or gates that I remember. The monumnet is perhaps a mile or so (these distances are from memory, may be off). You'll first see a stone carin to your left and then the Sci Fi monument lower to the ground.

All that said, it's really better, or at least just as good, looking at photos/videos of the site. I've never seen anyone else there, no ranchers or others have asked me about being there -- but I'm not sure if I was on BLM or private land.

I've also driven to the Billy Proctor site, but would not recommend that without walking there, or driving 4 wheel drive (I was in an RV/van -- really stupid, could have gotten stuck, and then what?).

I've also been to the Boy Scout Mountain (Jim Ragsdale) site. Very rough road, much moreso than the Sci Fi Channel spot. This one has also been largely discredited, from what I've read recently.

Have a great time in Roswell. Enjoy the UFO themed McDonalds, the Museum, the friendly people, and the Goddard Rocket display at the other museum -- that may be the best thing in town. Wish they would make a park out of the site north of town where he shot off some of his first rockets.

Joe

In Reply to: Re: OT: Planning a Roswell trip...any suggestions from those who have been? posted by Ron on March 05, 2008 at 22:33:11 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]