Aircraft Spotting?

Message posted by Roadeye on December 13, 2007 at 12:32:29 PST:

I've got a question for you people regarding the amount of daily air activity over Groomlake and most specifically the Area 51 facility.
In the past I've read reports of people being flown over by f-16s at low level while driving down GLR toward the gate.
I've also heard helicopters also have been seen doing similar things.
Are these reports true? If so...how much air traffic can one expect out there on average. I was there on a Saturday so needless to say there was no activity in the sky whatever.
Also since I'm an avid plane fan I was wondering if the activity you people discuss when talking about the Red Flag exercises is what you might call heavy or would you say it's more of a hurry up and wait for hours for any observers on the ground.
And while I'm at it...what about Nellis itself?
Would it be possible to say...watch the Thunderbirds working up their show? Or is their enough daily traffic around the base to be of interest?
When I was in Vegas recently...the skies did seem rather quiet...I guess that's because of McCarron being so close to Nellis and forcing the military to stick more to the Range than hanging around the city?
Also...is the Nellis Airshow worth travelling to see?
I remember seeing a video of a huge show where they brought in aerobatic teams from around the world.
Seems to me it was for the 100th anniversary of flight or something similar.
Was this an out of the ordinary thing?

Roadeye

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]