Re: New pics?

Message posted by gary on July 20, 2001 at 11:56:30 PST:

Like the guard on Hogan's Heros, I assure you I saw nothing. The plane was gone by the time I got to use the telescope.

There really is nothing as good as looking through an eyepiece. A camera requires a focusing screen, and the Nikon screens are pretty grainy. The canon EOS doesn't have the grainy effect, but is not really set up for telescope use, or more correctly non-EOS lens use. The F3 with DW-4 6x magnifier is pretty good for viewing, but still very inferior to just using the eyepiece.

The Meade ETX series has a flip mirror, so you can go between diagonal and primary focus very quickly EXCEPT that the focus will be way off due to the optical path length differences. Of course, plugging in the diagonal on the C5 will have the same refocusing hassle.

Since probably everyone at the September event won't have a telescope, I really suggest everyone have binoculars. I was using 12x60 binoculars while Jeorg was on the telescope. There is no way you can watch a plane in the air (such as the Janets) with a telescope, so the binoculars are essential.

I got some cheap Chinese 12x60's at http://www.astronomy-mall.com/telescope-warehouse/
specifically this line item:
12x60 WA with multicoated objectives and long eye relief $90
It comes with tripod adapter and a case with belt loop. This will keep your binoculars handy in the event you hear something on the hike up/down the nountain. You can pick the binoculars up at the so-called Telescope Warehouse, which is really the owners house, if you call ahead an make arrangements.

The very large aperture of the 12x60 binoculars make them great for night viewing if you have some moonlight. When I was at the border with Sedalia Mike and the Catman, I had no trouble spotting the cammo dude with Catman's 60mm binoculars, which is the reason I got a pair myself.

In Reply to: Re: New pics? posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on July 20, 2001 at 11:22:51 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]