Alamo/Corn Creek Rd

Message posted by Craig Fuller on October 28, 2007 at 23:29:29 PST:

I am coming up (from Phoenix) on Thursday night (Nov 1st) to spend Friday watching Red Flag and then Saturday & Sunday hiking up to some plane wrecks south of Desert Lake.
I had tried to do a similar trip last Feb, but had to CX due to a family medical emergency.

I have a question about the old Alamo/Corn Creek Rd for anyone who has been in that area recently.

Since I plan to spend the rest of the weekend camping south of Desert Lake off of the old Alamo Road it would be easiest to get to the camp site from Hwy 93 just south of Alamo going by the “8.2 mile fork” (which is on the way to Tikaboo Peak) rather than driving all the way around the range. I always have gone up the Alamo/Corn Creek road from Corn Creek Springs and have noticed signs saying the road was closed at some point. I have traveled the road a number of times over the last few years, but have not been as far as Desert Lake let alone gone all the way through to Hwy 93 since the early `90s. Does anyone know how it is closed off? Is it simply the road is washed out and they just say that to scare off people from driving 50 miles only to have to turn around? (I have a 4X4 with self recovery equipment so a wash out or sand is not a problem). Or did they actually close off the road due to land use issues?

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]