Re: New tower near the signs at GL Rd

Message posted by JB737 on October 10, 2007 at 22:21:28 PST:

Thanks for the coordinates. I finally got Google Earth reinstalled after some dll problems right after the Fossett search. I've done some GE touring around the guard shack and tower, checking the view of it from a few places including Tikaboo, etc.

Then I checked back through my photos taken from Tikaboo on June 30, 2007.

The tower is just barely discernable in a photo taken with a 750mm lens (1125mm equivalent on 35mm). It is much, much less obvious than things like the windows on the guard shack, which are fairly sharp. The tower appears thinner than the width of the windows, not because I can really resolve the width of the tower, but because I can resolve the width of the windows. If I hadn't known where to look, I wouldn't have had an easy time looking at the photo and saying "hey, that's a tower there".

Unlike the more detailed discovery photo, from Tikaboo distance at such low resolution it appears to have alternating light/dark bands: around 4 white "vertical dashes" alternating with nothingness matching the background. No red/white band color is visible, as it is on the tower in front of the hangar dirt pile for instance. There are two blotches on the ground a distance from it, perhaps the "large boxes" the guy wires go to, plus a 5th "dash" which although thinner than the boxes, is placed right to be the 3rd anchor point of an almost-equilateral triangle.

At the top right of the tower, there is an orange-ish ball...maybe I caught the red light on, or the sun illuminating it.

When I get around to posting photos again, I'll post an enhanced version of this one, but trust me, it isn't very good except to confirm where the tower appears on the landscape as viewed from Tikaboo. Namely, on the hill to the left of the guard shack, as expected.

Next time I'll know to put 3000mm on it rather than just 750mm, but I did at least trace along most of GLR (plus the road that spurs off of GLR toward Tikaboo) at 750mm to document it in some detail if later discoveries need comparison photos or confirmation photos to help narrow down dates of changes.

JB737

In Reply to: Re: New tower near the signs at GL Rd posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on October 05, 2007 at 14:53:24 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]