Re: YF-113G.....my comments

Message posted by Paul Reinman on July 08, 2001 at 5:27:24 PST:

And I quote....

The aerodynamic and LO shaping of the F-117 (or a larger but similarly shaped version) would not be capable of supersonic flight. Other concepts such as the 'Switchblade' or similar would be a more likely candidate for such a mission. The F-117 was always going to be a rushed stop-gap aircraft until stealth design and efficiency could be developed for mass produced aircraft

---I suspect the airplane might be a 2.5 generation stealth, with smooth surfaces as opposed to the faceted faces of the F-117. It is rumored to have been flown first in the mid-1990's, almost 15 years after the first F-117 flew.

and I quote again....

The YF-113 designation has always been associated with the MiG-23 operated out of Groom/Nellis/TTR/North base/?, however it may well have been applied elsewhere. An example of multiple use of designations is the Y/F-110.

-----yes, I would agreee with you that the YF-113 has mostly been associated with the Mig-23s of Red Hats fame, but the YF-113G is rumoured to be different altogether. A search of AW&ST for the past year will find three or four mentions of it. The first claims the YF-113G was a secret stealth aircraft, the second mention is a retraction of the first comment, and the third and fourth mentions suggest, yes, indeed, it is a different aircraft than the Mig-23.....

It will be interesting when some of these projects make the "white" world.....

Paul

In Reply to: Re: YF-113G.....my comments posted by Magoo on July 07, 2001 at 18:02:36 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]