Re: UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Message posted by gary on June 19, 2001 at 11:55:04 PST:

In the US, it is "my 2 cents". ;-)

Going back to Magoo's innocent until proven guilty statement, in the US, the freedom of the press allows for such information to be published prior to the trial. When the trial takes place, the jury or judge makes the decision based only on the evidence at the trial. Evidence gets suppressed at trial all the time, so the system works. The only exception to not naming an individual is the victim of a sexual crime, and even then it is up to the newspaper to establish that policy.

I think there is a good case to get the security camera video, provided you can subpoena the right person. It could be damning evidence, plus it forces detachment 3 to interface with the public. Otherwise, all you have is a case of a dangerous driver doing something on public land. Say he was driving to the grocery store instead of Area 51, and the event took place on the street, i.e. not in the store's parking lot. Could you blame the grocery store for his acts? No. However, you could get their surveillance video for evidence.

In Reply to: UNBELIEVABLE!!! posted by Magoo on June 19, 2001 at 3:19:02 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]