A reminder for summer travels to the area

Message posted by Hank on June 14, 2007 at 11:29:13 PST:

The temperatures in the area are now in the 90s soon to be in the 100s for the rest of the summer. It is imperative to carry more water than you think that you will ever use. The temps will be high and their is virtually no shade in the high desert. The water will be a life saver for you and your vehicle. Gas is no longer available in Rachel so the last gas stop if you are coming up on 93 is Alamo or Ash Springs. Both about 50 miles from the Inn. If you are coming up 95 the last gas is in Tonopah 100 miles from the Inn. Water and ice are available in both locations. I carry two ice chests. One for bottled water and one for ice. For one person traveling alone, as a minimum I recommend 2 gallons for every day you will be there. I usually carry more in case I have radiator problems. For first timers please be aware that the nearest help is in Alamo, 50 miles away. The cell service in most places doesnt exist so you are on your own. I carry an extra fan belt and radiator hoses as well as a couple of cans of Fix A Flat, and yes I have used them to get me out of trouble. This is not to discourage anyone from traveling there, its just a reminder to be prepared and you will have a great trip. If you have any questions please feel free to post them or email me bljk8@cox.net.
Hank

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]