Re: McChord AFB Open House

Message posted by Magoo on June 18, 2001 at 5:45:56 PST:

Gary

I guess they've worked out the bugs in the B-2s stealth...that's why you didn't see it. You should've brought your cell phone! ;-)

The F-117 will NEVER carry external stores, for two reasons...(1) It would totally compromise the LO shaping of the jet by hanging some bombs or missiles 'out there'. The whole idea of stealth is shaping and the minimalization of signatures. The F-117 can only carry two weapons internally, but what it lacks in firepower, it makes up in accuracy by using LGBs and on board IR designator, and by being able to get alot closer to a target than a conventional jet (e.g. F-15E). (2) The wings probably aren't rated or stressed to carry external stores, or even pylons for that matter.

The F-117 exhaust is flattened in order to better diffuse the hot gases into the surrounding cooler air. The bottom lip of the exhaust is slightly longer than the top lip, only by a couple of feet or so, but I wouldn't say it flows over the "top of the body".

I think you'll find the guards that accompany the F-117, and U-2 and F-22 etc are there more for effect than for actual 'guarding'. There's nothing really on the F-117 that is top secret anymore, except perhaps elements of the RAM paint/surfacing.

The B-1B can actually carry a larger load than the B-52 these days. However, it's a rather moot point as I doubt we'll see either aircraft overflying their targets in the future to deliver such a load. The future is standoff JDAMS, CALCMs and JSOWs/JASSMs. The 'Buffs' were used to pummel the Republican Guard in Iraq (from 30,000+ feet) only after air supremecy had been achieved, and the Iraqi IADS effectively destroyed.

Sounds like a great weekend.

Magoo

In Reply to: Re: McChord AFB Open House posted by gary on June 18, 2001 at 1:04:36 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]