Terraserver freeware

Message posted by gary on June 15, 2001 at 21:51:33 PST:

Terraserver fans should go to http://www.jdmcox.com/ and download USAphotomaps. The program "drives" the terraserver better than the terraserver's own interface. You enter a coordinate and it downloads enough photos by that coordinate to fill the screen. Then you can create waypoints directly from the photograph.

The manual is just a simple help page, so let me give you a few hints. Start the program using a waypoint in the area of interest. If what you are looking for is not there, go to the "zoom" and zoom out, then go to file->download map data->fill screen. This will fill up more of the array. You can use the arrow keys to move the image around. The blank squares on the screen can be filled in by using "fill screen" again. Yada yada yada. The limit is something very silly like a 999x999 array of the high res sat data.

I haven't tried hooking up my gps yet, but it supposedly has Garmin upload/download capability. Personally, I'd use another program to save your GPS information first just in case. It was designed for the Garmin Map12. I suspect newer GPS that save the altitude in the waypoints may have trouble with this program, but like I said I haven't tried that feature yet.

It only accesses the USGS photos (the free stuff). This means the new Area 51 photos are not there. However, I'm creating one really detailed sat photo of Nellis.

Warning: This can really take a long time on a dial up modem.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]