NTS Fly By

Message posted by Gregos on October 07, 2006 at 22:02:18 PST:

Yesterday I flew home from Oakland to Las Vegas on Southwest Airlines. For all you non US residents, SWA, has an open seating policy -kind of first come, first served. I knew we would fly South of the Nellis Range, so I took a left side window seat. We came in just South of Yucca flat and Frenchman Flat which were both clearly visible. Frenchman Dry Lake looks just like it does on Google Earth. And you can clearly see both airstrips at Yucca and the one in Mercury (as well as Creech AFB). Unfortunately, there was cloud cover a few miles to the north of them. Under the clouds it looked like God took a big blue paint brush to the desert below. Zero detail, so Papoose, Dogbone and Groom were totally -uh hem "blacked out" from view. Bummer! I really wanted to see how far into the Nellis Range one can see. I'll have to do this trip in the summer when there are no clouds above! What's the farthest anyone saw from this route?

Attached link: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA1398/history/20061006/2248Z/KOAK/KLAS

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]