Re: FAS 'picture of the week'!

Message posted by Andre M. Dall'au on November 02, 2000 at 08:06:44 EST:

Very interesting site. Although the guys that make the kind of Nuclear power that kept the peace during the Cold War, and the guys that make clean megawatts (us) use different kind of enrichment, I find the bomb-making info interesting. Unlike the Japanese who (by ignoring safety procedures and letting the pace of production have priority over safety) let a fuel batch tank go prompt critical, U.S. plants have been well-regulated and safe (Silkwood was WAY overstated). Without Pantex and others the Russians could have easily thought the U.S. stockpiles were too weak and launched a first strike. I'd be willing to show you guys around my Power plant, and let you see for yourself just how well run and safe Nuclear Power is. Just to keep my NRC Senior Reactor Operator Liscense, I've got to requalify by written tests and simulator exams (not easy) every six weeks. No other industry has those kinds of standards for it's Operators (even pilots for the airlines). Good site though, FAS is very interesting and I would hope our liason with them will strenghten over time.

In Reply to: FAS 'picture of the week'! posted by Magoo on November 01, 2000 at 17:43:43 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]