Re: Electrochromatic technology question....

Message posted by lone wolf on July 14, 2006 at 12:40:57 PST:

Just a follow up on the notion of specular versus diffuse lighting as it related to eletrochromatic technology. I didn't want to go into the math since it would require everyone to remember high school physics. ;-) However, I found a good diagram for specular lighting:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/isql.html
The light fall off for a point source (i.e. specular) is related to the inverse of the square of the distance to the source. The sky doesn't have a fall off as you can't get away from it (at least if you are on the ground). The bottom line is you could only match the intensity of the sky for a specific distance from the plane. Somebody close to the plane would see it glow, i.e. brighter than the sky, while someone far away would still see an object since it is not bright enough to match the sky.

Probably a better explanation that doesn't require you to remember high school physics is flash photography. The flash is a point source. When you take a photograph with a flash, the subjects in front are illuminated better than those in the back. Presuming the flash illuminated something close to the flash, the background will look black due to the difference in intensity.

In Reply to: Re: Electrochromatic technology question.... posted by lone wolf on July 13, 2006 at 13:46:24 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]