Re: Mike Dornheim, dead at 51

Message posted by Tom on June 12, 2006 at 19:50:08 PST:

It was thanks to Mike that I have those great aerial photos on Mojave RCS facilities on my web site. He volunteered to fly that day, and taught me the neat trick of how to remove one screw on a Cessna's window retaining arm to fully open the window and use the aircraft as a camera ship. When the Helendale RCS coincidently opened its doors as we flew overhead, I'm not sure if I was about to pee my pants with excitement over what was happening below or Mike's damn STEEP banking of the plane to make sure I was getting the shot. I think I was looking out the window straight down!

The "Interceptors" were a rather loose bunch of varying abilities, dispositions and credibilities. But Mike was who you would talk to when you wanted the straight, grounded, no BS take on things. A cuddly version of Phil Klass.

You wouldn't think you would want to hang with someone who wrote dates on his socks and underwear to make sure he knew when to replace them. But with Mike, that was part of his quirky charm and we wouldn't have him any other way.

He was an original in many ways, and will be sorely missed......

In Reply to: Mike Dornheim, dead at 51 posted by Peter Merlin on June 12, 2006 at 18:39:20 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]