Re: Climbing groom lake rd hill

Message posted by Hank on March 29, 2006 at 5:22:20 PST:

I was up Hawkeye last fall for the third time and no matter which route you take trying to see the border markers is a problem. They wander and are out of site alot of the time. I try to keep two posts in sight at all times no matter where Iam along the border but this is not possible on Hawkeye, so please beware of your surroundings. I found this post by Lonewolf in the archives and it is good advice.
The biggest problem with the orange post markers is at corners. The rule is you should see two posts at all times as you hike, but if possible, I like to see three in the event I'm near a corner. [If you don't see 3 posts, then the border could take a turn. This is true on top of Hawkeye Hill.] The hike up Hawkeye Hill is a case where you really can't see the markers since you are walking up the spine of the hill. While on Hawkeye Hill, you can see markers that no longer indicate the border, i.e. they are the old markers before the land grab and are inside the real border. Clearly the powers that be don't want the border marked very well, though they reserve the right to enforce it with deadly force.

The biggest problem with the orange post markers is at corners. The rule is you should see two posts at all times as you hike, but if possible, I like to see three in the event I'm near a corner. [If you don't see 3 posts, then the border could take a turn. This is true on top of Hawkeye Hill.] The hike up Hawkeye Hill is a case where you really can't see the markers since you are walking up the spine of the hill. While on Hawkeye Hill, you can see markers that no longer indicate the border, i.e. they are the old markers before the land grab and are inside the real border. Clearly the powers that be don't want the border marked very well, though they reserve the right to enforce it with deadly force. In a Feb. 22nd. trip report Lonewolf offers some good advice.
Hank

In Reply to: Re: Climbing groom lake rd hill posted by Mick on March 29, 2006 at 0:24:20 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]