Re: Area 19

Message posted by stark on March 26, 2006 at 19:09:49 PST:

First time poster here. I don't really know anything about Area 19, but that powerline looks like an artifact of a project that was cancelled.

I worked for a couple years as an engineer for a major aerospace/defense contractor back in the early '80s. Air Force and NASA research projects normally have status reviews every 6 or 12 months. It is not unheard of for one of those reviews to result in the research project being cancelled if it becomes clear the project objectives won't be met. Sometimes if there are long lead times on building facilities, those assets will just get abandoned in place when the project is cancelled. On a government range, there is no need to spend the money dismantling the assets, especially if the assets might be re-usable for some other project.

It would be interesting to know when that powerline appeared. In the late '70s and early '80s, the Air Force was getting into directed energy weapons (lasers, particle beams) which would require a high energy source for testing certain subsystems.

Please excuse me if someone has already suggested this explanation before. I've not read all of the archives.

In Reply to: Area 19 posted by Alex on March 24, 2006 at 14:12:02 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]