Yesterday in Rachel

Message posted by Andre' M. Dall'au on April 17, 2001 at 19:39:33 PST:

I just got back from Las Vegas with a side trip to Rachel. Yesterday I hiked up the overlook to the main gate to see if any changes were made. Looks like nothing much different, but I did take some 800mm telephotos, and will e-mail them to Joerg. While I was up on the ridge, the Ford pickup that is usually on the hill adjacent to the signage, waited for me to be at the top and then drove down to check out my rental car. Looks like they were taking pictures of it. They never got out of the pickup, but drove around it. No LLEA ever appeared, so I guess if it was called into Lincoln County sheriff's dept., they had bigger fish to fry. BTW, I looked around the hill top just to see what kind of litter was around (garbology), and found that the cammo dudes smoke everything from Marboros to genteric PX-issued cigarettes. I found a used GI-issue AA battery, and Hall's cough drop wrappers, so AREA 51's sick time policy is tough enough that the Cammo dudes work with colds. Also an assortment of cups, soft-drink cans, and plastic utensils that leads me to believe that they don't even go back to the chow hall for lunch.

I went to the back gate, and saw the new chain link truck trap with the automatic arms with flashing lites, got shots too.

No truck traffic on either road, and a few sonic booms around noon heard in the Inn. I talked to Connie, had my usual excellent Alien Burger, although with no fries as the State Fire Marshall has closed down the deep frier (and almost the whole kitchen), so look for chips or potato salad with your burgers from now on guys.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]