Re: Red Flag

Message posted by Gregos on February 17, 2006 at 21:28:53 PST:

Part 4:

Since it is the last day of Red Flag and I had no plans I decided to drive back up to Nellis AFB. I got there at 10:00am. Waiting for the light at Craig & Las Vegas Blvd, (4) Thunderbirds flew over the intersection. I parked just North of the racetrack so all aircraft would fly right over my head. I must of missed the AWACS and Tankers and B-2s, but (8) F-117s took off shortly after I parked. Then the usual aircraft: F-15s, F-16s, F-18s, Tornados, etc. Around 11:30am I saw an AWACS taxi for take off: “Sentry Three One Heavy.” Shortly after that I heard the scanner switch runway directions and then planes started inbound to land (taking off runways 03 and to land runways 21). Some of the first ones home were the F-117 Nighthawks. I heard “Pickles Four One” over the scanner in a female voice. They came in two at a time, took awhile for all to land. “Pickles” could have been an earlier call sign but the next was “Mole One” in an English accent. I don’t think I’m wrong about this one then. Anyone know if a Woman flies the “Woblin’ Goblin?” – My kind of girl! In all the commotion a F-16 and F-15 Aggressor snuck in side by side. Next “Blade Two One” inbound also in an English Accent. After that I thought I spotted a Thunderbird call sign “Eight Mike X-ray.” I snapped a photo and it looks like an old one –T-38 Talon in Thunderbird Paint? Later “Mig One” Called in 7 miles north of Apex. (5) F-16 Aggressors then flew on by. After that a bunch of KC-135 Tankers, and a few C-130s made in to land. Around 1:30pm I heard “Concord Something Heavy” inbound to land. Two B-2 Spirits –Beautiful! And they should be at $2 Billion a pop!!! I hung around for a few minutes more and then beat feet. Got a little sun burned but can’t wait until August! See you next time!

PS There were many flights in between those listed above. These were some of the highlights of the day. From 10:00am until 1:30pm the sky was almost non-stop action! God Bless those who serve!

In Reply to: Re: Red Flag posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on February 16, 2006 at 11:56:14 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]