Magnificent Desolation

Message posted by R4808N on January 23, 2006 at 21:52:12 PST:

I took my wife to see Tom Hank's "Magnificent Desolation - Walking on the Moon 3D" this weekend at the Luxor IMAX theater. At first the 3D bugged me but soon after it was comfortable. For "geeks" like us, nothing new was learned. I'm pre-Moon landing myself (circa 1969) she on the other hand was born in 1979. But it was definitely worth the 24 bucks just to here her say it sparked an interest. In the beginning they interview children about the Apollo missions. They teach very little about them in school today. Bless you Tom Hanks for keeping the dream alive. And God bless the half million people in the space program that had the balls to reach thru time into the 21st Century and pull that one off (in the infancy of the computer age)!

I had the great opportunity to meet Jim Lovell and Gene Krantz a few years ago at a convention at the Mandalay Bay. Those guys are truly National Treasures!

I'm not political by far so forgive me if I start a fight. In 1969, America was numero uno -no question. Shame on the U.S. government for funding a 200 Billion dollar war with no end in sight instead of putting one of our children's foot prints on the face of Mars. Ok I'm stepping off my soap box now....

Go see the movie. If you got kids, by all means, take them to see the movie. Spark the interest and maybe they will be the first to leave a foot print on another world!

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]