Re: Haven't seen this UCAV before..

Message posted by lone wolf on January 12, 2006 at 23:05:14 PST:

I assume I'm stating common knowledge, but every website logs the IP address of those who visit. Most webmasters don't bother to read the log unless you are one of the big time downloaders. To be more specific, the logs are read through a filtering program to find the "surfers of interest."

The same programs that log your IP address also see if you are "worthy". Besides only letting certain domains in, you could keep certain domains out, or even countries if you want to work at it.

There is much information on the internet on the public .mil websites. What I do is google using the advanced search, then restrict the search to .mil, .gov, etc. This will get you data from the original source. If you do .mil and .gov at the same time, you could use the "unclesam" version of google.

Note also that unless a document sits on the web in a location where a "bot" can search it, it won't be found by the search engines. It can be as simple as a robots.txt put in the directory, or the document exists dynamically. That is, you request the document and it gets served to you through a script or java program. This probably isn't a very clear explanation, but what I'm trying to say is you need to use the search engines built into the government websites to find those documents that are not indexed by google.

There are search engines (databases) that are not free, but can be found at university libraries. DARPA projects often show up in such educational databases. Most university libraries don't restrict the use of these databases, so if you can get into the library, you have all the access you need. You can even email the search engine results off campus. BTW, some of the university databases are accessable from off-campus. These would be databases that were generated from the university itself, or basically search engines that are not subscription based.

I did a quick search on UNLV and found their Nellis collection. [See link.]

Attached link: Nellis collection at UNLV

In Reply to: Re: Haven't seen this UCAV before.. posted by remotelocation on January 12, 2006 at 20:32:49 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]